Building Permits Part II

Home Improvement


R105.1 Required. Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to move a lot line that will affect any existing building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

R105.1.1 By whom application is made. Pursuant to Section 29-263 of the Connecticut General Statutes, application for a permit shall be made by the owner in fee or by an authorized agent. If the authorized agent is a contractor, such contractor shall follow the provisions of section 20-338b of the Connecticut General Statutes. The applicant shall include the full names and addresses of the owner, agent and the responsible officers, if the owner or agent is a corporate body. No permit shall be issued to a contractor who is required to be registered pursuant to chapter 400 of the Connecticut General Statutes, for work to be performed by such contractor, unless the name, business address and Department of Consumer Protection registration number of such contractor is clearly marked on the application for per­mit, and the contractor base presented such contractor's certificate of registration as a home improvement contractor.

R105.2 Work exempt from permit. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws, statutes, regulations or ordinances of the town, city or borough, or the State of Connecticut. Permits shall not be required for the following work:


1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, pro­vided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).

2.  Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high. Exception: Fences used as swimming pool barriers regardless of height require a permit.

3. Retaining walls that are not over 3 feet (914 mm) in height measured from finished grade at the bottom of the wall to finished grade at the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.

4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.

5. Sidewalks, driveways and on-grade concrete or masonry patios not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.

6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, coun­tertops and similar finish work not involving struc­tural changes or alterations.

7. Prefabricated swimming pools that are equal to or less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.

8. Swings, nonhabitable tree houses and other play­ground equipment.

9. Window awnings suppo1ted by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372mm) from the exterior wall and which do not require additional support.

10. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwell­ing and do not serve the exit door required by Sec­tion R3 l l.4.

11. Repairs that are limited to 25 percent of roof cover­ing and building siding within one calendar year.


1. Listed cord-and-plug connected temporary decorative lighting.

2. Reinstallation of attachment plug receptacles but not the outlets therefor.

3. Replacement of branch circuit overcurrent devices of the required capacity in the same location.

4. Electrical wiring, devices, appliances, apparatus or equipment operating at less than 25 volts and not capable of supplying more than 50 watts of energy.

5. Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps and fuses or the connection of approved por­table electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.


1. Portable heating or cooking appliances with a self­contained fuel supply.

2. Replacement of any minor part that does not, alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.

3. Portable fuel cell appliances tbat are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.


1. Portable heating appliances with a self-contained fuel supply.

2. Portable ventilation appliances.

3. Portable cooling units.

4. Steam, hot or chilled water piping contained within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by Chapters 18 to 24, inclusive, of this code.

5.  Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.

6.  Portable evaporative coolers.

7.  Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.

8.  Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.


1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe; provided if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be consid­ered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in Sections RIOS and R 109 of this code.

2. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and rein­stallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrange­ment of valves, pipes or fixtures.